Engage in student research and you can:
- have more faculty interactions outside the classroom,
- gain peer recognition,
- gain the experience employers are seeking,
- present your findings at local, regional, and national meetings,
- apply for travel and research grants to support your work.
Please read the entire home page of the grant you are applying for to note deadlines and requirements. All online Faculty letters of recommendation must be submitted electronically by the end of the deadline day (15th of the month for OSR Research and Travel - if the 15th is on a weekend the deadline is extended through Monday).
OSR cannot fund travel of any kind to countries or areas where there are safety warnings or sanctions in place. If you are traveling internationally, please see the link to the Alerts and Warnings page. If you have questions about this information, please contact the Director of Education Abroad, Christopher Lytle in the Office of International Education and Development at 828-262-2046.
OSR funding is awarded to students only and must be expended in the department by the awarded student. Faculty cannot be reimbursed for expenses claimed on any OSR grant application. *OSR cannot reimburse departments for P card charges for travel grants. Students must pay for and provide zero balance receipts for all OSR Travel Grant awarded funding. *
Food and beverage expenses of any kind and gift certificate/gift card purchases are NOT permissable from OSR funding. No MTurk payments may be paid for out of OSR funding.
Undergraduate Research Assistantships (URA)
URAs offer highly motivated undergraduate students the opportunity to work closely with a faculty member on his/her research, scholarship, or creative activity. Faculty members, in consultation with students, are encouraged to apply for an Undergraduate Research Assistantship.
The main purpose of the program is to attract students to major in computer science or applied mathematics and to help them succeed in these majors. Our recent S-STEM grant provides a limited number of scholarships to the Chemistry, Physics and Astronomy, and Biology majors to work with the Computer Science and Math scholars on interdisciplinary problems. Apply for an S-STEM Scholarship.
- OSR travel grants are awarded in amounts up to $300 for presentation of accepted research or creative endeavors at professional meetings or conferences. (You must be an accepted presenter - OSR cannot fund travel to simply attend a meeting or conference)
- OSR Research Grants - Faculty or student initiated projects from a variety of disciplines are awarded in amounts up to $500. This grant is for supplies and materials purchased in the Faculty Mentor's home academic department after the grant has been officially awarded. No payments may be made to students - purchases must be made in the department.
- International Student Research Grants - 3-5 awards up to $1,500 are available to undergraduate or graduate students to conduct research that has an International focus. This grant is for reimbursement of travel expenses and has an annual deadline each November. OSR will begin accepting applications for our November deadline in October.