Engage in student research and you can:
- have more faculty interactions outside the classroom,
- gain peer recognition,
- gain the experience employers are seeking,
- present your findings at local, regional, and national meetings,
- apply for travel and research grants to support your work.
Please read the entire home page of the grant you are applying for to note deadlines and requirements. All online Faculty letters of recommendation must be submitted electronically by the end of the deadline day (15th of the month for OSR Research and Travel - if the 15th is on a weekend the deadline is extended through Monday).
OSR cannot fund travel of any kind to countries or areas where there are safety warnings or sanctions in place. If you are traveling internationally, please see the link to the Alerts and Warnings page. If you have questions about this information, please contact the Director of Education Abroad, in the Office of International Education and Development, at 828-262-2046.
OSR funding is awarded to students only and must be expended in the department by the awarded student. Faculty cannot be reimbursed for expenses claimed on any OSR grant application. *OSR cannot reimburse departments for P card charges for travel grants. Students must pay for and provide zero balance receipts for all OSR Travel Grant awarded funding. *
Food and beverage expenses of any kind and gift certificate/gift card purchases are NOT permissable from OSR funding.
Undergraduate Research Assistantships (URA)
URAs offer highly motivated undergraduate students the opportunity to work closely with a faculty member on his/her research, scholarship, or creative activity. Faculty members, in consultation with students, are encouraged to apply for an Undergraduate Research Assistantship.
The deadline for Spring 2020 URA applications was Tuesday, December 3, 2019. A deadline for Summer 2020 will be posted in late spring, pending funding approval.
The main purpose of the program is to attract students to major in computer science or applied mathematics and to help them succeed in these majors. Our recent S-STEM grant provides a limited number of scholarships to the Chemistry, Physics and Astronomy, and Biology majors to work with the Computer Science and Math scholars on interdisciplinary problems. Apply for an S-STEM Scholarship.
- OSR travel grants are awarded in amounts up to $300 for presentation of accepted research or creative endeavors at professional meetings or conferences. (You must be an accepted presenter - OSR cannot fund travel to simply attend a meeting or conference) The Office of Student Research is not accepting any applications for travel to present research or creative performances due to the suspension of University-related travel. Spring OSR travel grant awards are suspended until further notice. Please see the statement regarding App State Campus. http://appstatealert.com/.
- International travel grants are awarded in amounts up to $1000. The grant is to be used to defray the cost of travel to present results of Faculty Mentored student research or creative performance at an international professional conference, meeting or exhibition. At this time the Office of Student Research can only fund travel for accepted presenters, we cannot fund travel to simply attend an international meeting or conference. This grant is supported in part by the Office of International Education and Development (OIED).
- OSR Research Grants - Faculty or student initiated projects from a variety of disciplines are awarded in amounts up to $500. This grant is for supplies and materials purchased in the Faculty Mentor's home academic department after the grant has been officially awarded. No payments may be made to students - purchases must be made in the department. The Office of Student Research is suspending applications for OSR Research Grants until further notice. As our situation regarding campus related activities is constantly changing we will evaluate options as necessary. Please see the statement regarding App State Coronavirus Information https://www.appstate.edu/go/coronavirus/.