The Office of Student Research is currently accepting applications for OSR Research Grants. Projects are expected to follow guidelines provided by the Office of Research and campus policies and procedures set by the campus and state of North Carolina. The most recent Coronavirus information can be found at https://www.appstate.edu/go/coronavirus/.
For further information regarding ramping up research and creative activities on campus, please click here. The Office of Student Research and the Office of Research will work together to ensure continuity of Faculty research and student engagement in research and creative activities.
All currently enrolled Appalachian undergraduate and graduate students in good academic standing are eligible to apply for a research grant of up to $400. The grant is designed to fund costs associated with outside the classroom, Faculty-mentored, student-based research projects or creative endeavors. Funding can be used for research supplies or research related expenses, including the printing of a poster for presentation. OSR cannot fund research grant proposals for travel expenses involving conducting/collecting research when the project is required for course credit or graduation, present or in the future. This would include Honors Thesis, Capstones, and Masters Thesis, etc.
Once the award is received, the student must work with their Faculty Mentor and associated departmental office to expend their awarded OSR funding. No orders may be placed in the department until your OSR Research grant has been officially awarded. All equipment expenses funded through an OSR Research grant remain the property of ASU and are housed in the home department of the student's Faculty Mentor. Please see the Funding Guidelines described below for more details.
The OSR Research Grant is NOT designed to cover the following:
- Costs associated with class projects, class assignments or any activities that are associated with a traditional "in the classroom" course
- Supplement funding for study abroad trips, student teaching, training or internships. We cannot fund tuition, training or course expenses of any kind.
- Food and beverage expenses
- Gift certificate/gift card purchases
- Giveaways or prizes
- Travel to conferences (see OSR Travel Grants - only for accepted presenters)
Any questions may be directed to the Office of Student Research at email@example.com.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I know if I am in good academic standing?
- Students that are currently (in the semester applying) NOT on academic probation are considered in good academic standing.
- Faculty mentors can use their discretion as to whether they will engage in research with a student who has not done well academically.
Can I apply for a research grant more than once?
- Students CAN apply for a grant more than once but may only receive ONE OSR Research Grant per academic semester (fall, spring, summer) for supplies and materials other than poster printing costs. Based on available funding, preference will be given to students who have not received an OSR Research Grant before repeat funding in multiple semesters is awarded.
Can a team of students working on the same research project or creative endeavor apply for grants?
Only ONE grant per project will be funded per academic semester (fall, spring, summer) for supplies and materials. Teams must select one student as the Lead to submit the grant.
Based on available funding, preference will be given to students involved in other projects who have not received an OSR Research Grant before repeat funding in multiple semesters is awarded.
Can I use this grant to fund my travel to a conference?
- No, the OSR Research Grant is for research supplies or related expenses.
In order to justify awarding a research grant, the Office of Student Research must have a descriptive Project Title and a detailed Project Description and Budget Justification. Projects should be discussed and reviewed with the faculty mentor prior to submission. The following are some suggestions for your proposal preparation:
- Discuss and design the proposed research project with your Faculty mentor.
- Determine the specific aims, goals or objectives.
- Establish the appropriate study design or methods.
- Decide on the materials needed for the project and obtain specifics regarding cost for each item.
- Explain the purpose of the requested items as they relate to the research question and methods.
- If applicable, prepare the appropriate IRB (working with human participants) or IACUC (working with animals) documentation. Please see the website for further information regarding Research Protections.
1. Have your faculty mentor (the faculty member who has mentored your research) complete the Online Faculty Recommendation Form. All Faculty Recommendations MUST be submitted using the online - forms will not be accepted through campus mail, email, fax or at the office.
2. If applicable, determine the need for IRB, IACUC or IBC approval. Research compliance is important and should be obtained, or at least submitted, prior to applying for an OSR Research Grant. Research funds cannot be awarded until final compliance approval has been submitted to OSR (if approved, please indicate the protocol number on your application). If your project includes flying Unmanned Aircraft Systems (i.e., drones), please be aware that Appalachian has a process to get permission to fly them on campus. If you are flying them off campus, it is important to make sure you are aware of FAA laws and North Carolina requirements about the use of UAS.
3. Submit the Office of Student Research Grant Application Form. Make sure you do not exceed the character count for each field - your application has NOT been received by OSR unless you get an emailed confirmation after clicking submit. The application link will close at 11:59 pm on the 15th of each deadine date (September, October and November for Fall and February, March and April for Spring) and re-open at 11:59 pm on the 17th of September and October. The link will close after our November 2020 deadline and reopen for submissions at the end of January 2021. The first deadline for spring will be 11:59 pm on February 15, 2021.
The deadline for all OSR Research Grant applications is the 15th of September, October and November 2020 (our fall request for proposal deadlines) with award notification made by the end of the month. We must have both your online application and complete, online Faculty Recommendation Form. There will be NO December 2020 or January 2021 call for proposals - our form will reopen the last week of January for our February 15, 2021 deadline. Remaining spring OSR Research grant deadlines are March 15, 2021 and April 15, 2021.
Guidelines for Grant Funds
- All Research Grants MUST be completely expended by the end of the fiscal year in which they are awarded. Research Funding does NOT roll over at the end of each fiscal year (May 14 is the final date for purchases to be made each fiscal year).
- All OSR funding is awarded to STUDENTS only and must be expended in the Faculty Mentor's home academic department by the awarded student. Faculty cannot be reimbursed for expenses claimed on any OSR grant application.
- Students MUST meet with their departmental administrative assistant and faculty mentor before any money is spent. Orders will be placed in the academic department - no reimbursements may be paid directly to students. Students may only expend their awarded OSR Research grant funding on the items listed in their budget justification on their submitted grant application. Students cannot substitute or order items not listed on their original OSR grant application. No items may be ordered until students have been officially awarded OSR grant funding.
- All Appalachian State University Policies and Procedures must be adhered to when spending down Research Grant monies. Any non-approved expenditures will be the sole responsibility of the student.
Grant Recipient Requirements
- If possible, students should present their work at the Annual Celebration of Student Research and Creative Endeavors at Appalachian. This event is held every Spring semester.
- Grantees are asked to acknowledge the Office of Student Research on any presentations or publications that result from the research conducted through the grant.
The fall deadlines for all OSR Research Grant applications are the 15th of September, October and November 2020 with award notification made by the end of the month in which the application is received. We must have both your online application and complete, online Faculty Recommendation Form.
There will be NO December 2020 or January 2021 call for proposals - our form will reopen the last week of January for our February 15, 2021 deadline. Remaining spring OSR Research grant deadlines are March 15, 2021 and April 15, 2021.